Friday 9 February 2007

The War On Elastic Bands

As the grand tidy-up continues, I am increasingly enjoying the satisfied feeling that comes from throwing things away. Sadly in recent days the only things I have been throwing away are small items, like old pens which don't work quite as well as they used to. And I have in fact just this very second decided to throw away a Berol Notewriter which, despite still being plentiful in ink, requires me to hold the shaft at an unacceptably inclined angle. Yes, it's survival of the fittest right about now.

And as the ruthless war on clutter continues, a new enemy is in my sights. And I must tell you that this correspondent is at war with elastic bands. I have lots of elastic bands. They seem to turn up everywhere. They sneak into my home via the daily postal delivery. They surround paper and packages to obtain ingress through the letter box, but of course once they arrive they cannot be thrown away, because there is nothing wrong with them, and they might be useful one day.

No longer. That way of thinking is long gone. If I can throw away useful drawing pins, I can certainly throw away elastic bands. I have not used an elastic band for as long as I can remember. If I ever need to, I will buy some. Until that time, all elastic bands are being marched to the rubbish bins on sight.

It makes me feel like I'm doing something.

No comments: