Friday 24 November 2006

What Kind Of Week Has It Been?

Friday night and the week is almost over. I woke up this morning thinking it was Saturday, and it took quite a while before I realised that it was actually Friday and there was still work to do. Ugh. Horrible. But all in all, what kind of week has it been?

Monday & Tuesday - It was 5p listing day on eBay, and since I have a chunk of holiday that I have to take before the end of the year, I took two days off work. I never ever used to take even as much as a day of my holiday - but now I do. Bad sign. Listed all sorts of items on eBay, which at least makes me feel that I'm doing something approaching "tidying up".

Wednesday - Bad meeting at work. Actually it went pretty well, but I'm just bewildered at the direction which the corporate train is headed, and the only available choices of enjoying the ride from a comfortable seat, or standing straight in front of the train as it hits you, are both unacceptable. Kind of a bad sign. The clearest possible indication that I'll never be allowed to do anything that's too interesting or too important, because "you're just one person" and "what if you leave?".. Yeah, thanks. My desire to leave will be why I turned down three times the money from our competitor to stay here. Seems that loyalty and belief are expensive tastes. Given the number of other people who leave "when something better comes along", I must be some kind of unique, or some kind of stupid. Of course if they were really worried about me leaving, then perhaps not making my position entirely untenable would be an excellent start...

Thursday - The smelly man from the cable company came to fix my cable TV, which hasn't worked since July. Nobody at NTL could fix the (really simple) problem from their end, so eventually they had to admit defeat and send out a man to completely replace my cable box with a new one. (I can't explain it without getting technical, but it's the same kind of over-reaction as buying a completely new car because you're not sure which key starts the old one.) Still, it's back now. And even though I hardly watch it, it's nice to know that it's working. If you ever have the choice between getting cable television, or slamming your head against a brick wall for several months, look into that second, more satisfying option.

Friday - turned out not to be Saturday, presumably because I still had the last remnants of a major work project to finish off. Got it all out of the way by lunchtime, and spent the rest of the day feeling very relaxed that it's all over - for now. It was a lot of work, but hopefully the results will be enjoyed by a lot of people next week. And if it all goes wrong.. well, that part of it wasn't my fault. I tried to warn them.

Spent this evening printing out lots of labels and stamps and letters, wrapping up and stapling and sticking many parcels together ready for their journey to the post office tomorrow morning. Ordered my groceries to be delivered tomorrow afternoon. No plans for the rest of the weekend.

Next week.. a small party-gathering-type-thing at work on Monday to pat ourselves on the back about the project. I almost don't want to go, in case it all goes horrendously wrong. But I think I will. And I've got the whole weekend to decide..

But for now.. off to bed. And when I wake up tomorrow, hopefully it really will be Saturday. Goodnight. :-)

No comments: