Monday 2 July 2007

Before My Time

As much as I loved the 80s, it seems that a lot of it passed me by. I liked a lot of the music, had much time for Rick Astley and Adam Ant, but there was plenty that, to my uncultured ears, was just not particularly interesting. The Smiths, Scritti Politti, Talk Talk, and The Style Council were all groups which, at the time, just didn't seem to make the music I liked.

But as I get older, I realise that there's a lot I missed out on. And while I still can't stand Paul Weller, I adore the music of the four aforementioned bands more and more. Luckily enough their music is still around, making it easy to catch up. Here's my current favourite track this hour - how can you argue with something as perfect as this?

Have you ever chased the night that sailed in front of you
On a boat thats bound for hope - but left you in the queue
With your shouting, waving, taunting, flaunting friends as crew
Telling you that every lie you ever heard was true
Have you stood upon that dock - have you ever had it blue?

Have you ever woke to find the morning didn't come
Undelivered with the papers - stolen by someone
Found the milkman bound and gagged and shackles round the sun
And the holder of the keys turns out to be the one
The girl you had your heart set on - have you ever had it blue?

Have you ever watched the day, passing by your door
Powerless to change its course, your feet fixed to the floor
When all the people you thought you knew are changing more and more
Even the girl you thought would see, seems only to ignore
The only love worth fighting for - have you ever had it blue?
"Have You Ever Had It Blue" - The Style Council

No comments: