Sunday 9 December 2007

The Hardest-Working Man In Showbiz

I'm in a strange kind of netherworld at the moment. In fact, I'm not even completely sure what day it is. For indeed, you see, despite the fact that I have this niggly feeling that I'm really not being as useful and productive as I should be (home-tidying-wise,) I also find that I have brief, intense periods of entirely exhausting activity.

Yesterday I scanned some more old phone bills, shredding the originals thereafter so as to keep this classified intelligence out of the hands of enemy agents. I really ran up some record-breaking phone bills, back in the day. Who can forget August 1992 when a demand for £678 landed on the doormat? And it seems that I hadn't learned my lesson even by November 1995 when the BT bill weighed in at £762. I don't think I've ever topped that, mostly because phone calls today are cheaper than they've ever been - and who needs to spend hundreds of pounds dialling up the internet when modern living brings us a lovely broadband connection for a price that looks like a bit of a bargain in comparison.

I'm pleased to have these phone bills stored on my computer now. They're good memories, reminders of a time when things were different and apparently nothing mattered, least of all an £800 phone bill. What else explains such insane largesse?

This afternoon was also busy and useful, as the upcoming Christmas season reminded me that I really must get around to putting some more junk on eBay. Junk sells better when the season is pointing a gun to people's heads and making them buy presents OR ELSE. And isn't that depressing? Well, not always. My unique kind of junk is bound to make the perfect present on Christmas morning. Who wouldn't be delighted by a Max Headroom colouring book? Apparently this is now called "Retro", and thus is "in". As if it was ever 'out'.

Something like four or five hours passed this afternoon while I busily took photographs of things (or just slammed them in the scanner), carefully weighed them (to work out how much they'd cost to post), and wrote masterful descriptions so as to describe them to a buying public. ("This is a box of buttons. Some of the buttons are blue. Others are large. The proportion of the buttons which are both large AND blue is shown on the attached venn diagram. Buyer to pay £1 postage.")

So, as I speak, no less than 75 assorted items from my archives are now being gazed upon with curious eyes by a worldwide audience of eBayers. Only 6 days 22 hours and 29 minutes to go. Hurry hurry. Who will buy my sweet red roses?

No comments: