Sunday 24 December 2006

Author Unknown

Across Europe, many people believe that Christmas Eve is a particularly special time. On the stroke of midnight, all the animals of the land receive a strange and wonderful gift – for they become able to talk, to themselves, and each other, and even any humans who might be listening.

And so it was one Christmas eve in the farmhouse, in the deepest, darkest night, when the animals noticed that something was different. And slowly, they each heard their voices for the first time.

“I can talk!”, said the cow. “Oh! Don’t I have a lovely voice!”, she said, and began to sing merrily.

“I calk talk!”, said the dog, excitedly. “I can talk! I can talk! I can talk!”

“Maybe I can talk too?”, said the rabbit, startling himself when he heard. “Oh, my goodness!”

“If you can all talk, I suppose that I should be able to as well”, said the cat, who did not seem particularly surprised at all.

“And me too?”, said the mouse, timidly. “It must be because it’s Christmas! What Christmas present would you like to get, Cow?”

The cow thought for a few moments, and said, “I would like a whole field of grass for my very own. How about you, Dog?”

Dog was excited. “I’d like.. I’d like.. I’d like a great big bone! A great big bone! How about you, Rabbit?”

Rabbit shuffled her nose for a few moments, and said, “I’d like lots and lots of carrots. I like carrots very much. What do you want for Christmas, Cat?”

“I would like a nice bowl of cream”, answered Cat, quickly. “Or perhaps a nice juicy mouse.”

Mouse looked up with a start, and nearly ran away before noticing the mischievous smile on Cat’s face. “Well,” said Mouse nervously, “I’d like some extra-special cheese. If that’s alright with everyone, of course.”

Just then, a robin popped in, and landed on the straw by the animals. “Hello Robin”, said Cow. “We’ve just been thinking about the things we’d like for Christmas. How about you?”

“Oh, I don’t want anything for Christmas”, said the Robin.

“But whyever not?”, enquired the cat. “Everyone deserves a present at Christmas time.”

“I already have the best present there is.”, said Robin.

“Huh? Huh? I don’t understand. I don’t understand!”, said Dog.

“Why would I want for anything when I have good friends like you?”, asked Robin, “Why, Dog, you’re always so happy and excited. Being with you is always such fun.”

Dog turned his head to one side, confused, but listened as Robin continued. “And you, Mouse, we always have such interesting adventures together. You know all about the most exciting nooks and crannies of the farm.”

Mouse thought of the adventures they’d had, as Robin turned to look at Cat. “I never forget that you could always eat me for your dinner, if you wanted to. But instead, you always watch out for me, and protect me from the bigger animals.”

Cat gave a thoughtful look, while Robin carried on. “And you, Rabbit. You always seem to happy to see me, and I feel the same about you. You share the fur and straw from your hutch, and help me build my nest so that I may be warm in winter.”

Rabbit scratched her ears as Robin turned to address Cow. “You are so kind to me, Cow. You let me sit on your back when I am tired from flying, I travel all around the field with your help. And you shelter me from the rain when the weather is bad. You are always so kind to me.”

Cow thought of the times she had spent with Robin, but had not realized that it meant so much.

“So you see”, continued Robin, “there’s nothing at all that I want for Christmas – because I already have your friendship, and I wouldn’t swap that for anything.”

The animals all thought about the things that they had wanted, and soon decided that they did not seem as important as the friendship they all shared with Robin, and with each other. And so, as they settled down to sleep in the farmhouse, they all felt very happy indeed, to be so lucky to have such good friends as each other.

No comments: