Sunday 31 December 2006

A Nice Night In

I'm not much of a fan of modern music - perhaps I just don't have the patience to listen through all the rubbish to dig out the good stuff that's - probably - sitting underneath somewhere. But every so often, something comes along that reminds me that it's worth paying attention.

And so it is that, while 2006 is almost over, I find myself indulging in what might be an end-of-year tradition. Because a sunny New Year's Eve evening is the one time when you can guarantee that the nice people at TMF break the habit of a lifetime and actually play some music videos. And you know something? When they put their minds to it, they're actually pretty damn good at it. They play videos for hours and hours and hours at a time, and you can sit through them all, and even enjoy most of them.

In a world where most radio stations and music video channels are entirely unlistenable, this is no mean feat. And so it is that December 31st is where I catch up on all the best music of the year, which I'd otherwise entirely missed out on.

Seems that this year I nearly missed a real gem. Now I'm sure that I'm much too old and much too alone to really have much time for a song like this, but right about now, I think this is the best thing ever. I wish I'd heard it back in August when it came out, although it would have been too late even then. Here, have a listen... In fact, courtesy of YouTube, you can even watch the video - although it's a bit odd. I'd just listen to it, if I were you:

No comments: