Saturday 14 October 2006

Sell it, Scan It, or Throw It Away


I need more order in my life. See the picture? That's where I live, taken a few years ago. It's even worse now. I keep meaning to tidy up, but somehow I just never have the time.. I mean, I work all week, and by the weekend, when I do actually have a little free time.. well, I'm kind of knackered. And despite my best intentions, nothing gets done.

But this can't go on. While I'm sure it's nothing other than a sign of raw genius, too much clutter could easily be a problem - so things must change before I go the way of Mr. Trebus. A new policy is called for, and I have named that policy "Sell it, Scan It, or Throw It Away."

Under the new regime, all items which I live with will be ruthlessly scrutinised. Nearly everything I have is unusable since it's underneath, or between, other things. Hence, if I'm not using it right now, I probably don't need it. So, I must sell it (watch for my forthcoming garage sale on eBay), scan it (a great way to get rid of bulky paper documents), or throw it away (which may include 'giving it away' in the event that an item cannot be sold.)

My first thoughts are for technological ways to save space. I could copy all my CD-Rs to DVD-R. I could fit 13 CDs on a DVD. And if I could copy all my VHS tapes to DVD then that would save space too. However, that's what I told myself several years ago and I didn't really get very far into that project. And I'd probably want to keep the originals as well, just in case something happened to the copies, so that wouldn't save much space at all. No, I must not be distracted. Tapes and discs can be dealt with separately - my first priority must be boxes, and things, and stuff. Everything must go.

How do you think I'll do?

No comments: